Homemade Custard Creams are so much better than the shop-bought variety. These classic biscuits literally melt in your mouth.
This recipe is taken from christinascucina.com
Ingredients (W) available from Weigh Ahead
• 170g plain flour (W)
• 50g custard powder
• 170g butter, at room temperature
• 50g icing sugar (W)
• 1/4 tsp baking soda (W)
• 25g butter
• 25g icing sugar (W)
• a few drops of vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 350°F (175°C)
1. Sift the flour, custard powder and baking soda into a bowl and set aside.
2. Cream the butter and sugar for about 3 minutes, then add the sifted flower, custard and soda and mix well.
3. Form into rounds, about the size of a walnut and place on a lined baking tray, leaving room to expand. Press with a fork into the top of each round, twice: once horizontally, and once vertically, to look like a cross-hatch.
4. Bake near the middle of the oven for 15 to 18 minutes until the bottoms just begin to slightly colour. Remove from tray and allow to cool completely on cooling rack.
5. Mix the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until creamy.
6. Then use the buttercream to sandwich two of the Custard Creams together. Repeat until all the biscuits have been filled.
7. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.