Ingredients (W available from Weigh Ahead)
• 230ml vegetable oil, plus extra for the tin W
• 100g natural yogurt
• 4 large eggs W
• 1½ tsp vanilla extract
• ½ orange, zested
• 265g self-raising flour W
• 250g soft brown sugar W
• 2½ tsp ground cinnamon W
• 265g carrots (about 3), grated
• 100g sultanas or raisins W
• 100g walnuts or pecans, roughly chopped W
For the icing
• 100g slightly salted butter, softened
• 300g icing sugar W
• ½ orange zested
• 100g soft cheese
1. Heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Oil and line the base and sides of two 20cm cake tins with baking parchment.
2. Whisk the oil, yogurt, eggs, vanilla and zest in a jug. Mix the flour, sugar and cinnamon with a good pinch of salt in a bowl. Squeeze any lumps of sugar through your fingers, shaking the bowl a few times to bring the lumps to the surface.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, along with the carrots, raisins and half the nuts. Mix well to combine, then divide between the tins.
4. Bake for 25-30 mins or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. If any wet mixture clings to the skewer, return to the oven for 5 mins, then check again. Leave to cool in the tins.
5. To make the icing, beat the butter and sugar together until smooth. Add half the soft cheese and beat again, then add the rest with the orange zest. Remove the cakes from the tins and sandwich together with half the icing. Top with the remaining icing and scatter with the remaining walnuts. Will keep in the fridge for up to five days. Best eaten at room temperature.