There is nothing nicer than home made custard on your favourite pudding and it is so simple to make. We have all the ingredients at Weigh Ahead too!
- 1 vanilla pod (W)
- 600 ml whole milk (W)
- 4 large free-range egg yolks (W)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar (W)
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (W)
- Halve the vanilla pod and scrape out the seeds. Add both the pod and seeds to a pan on a medium-low heat, pour in the milk and bring just to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool slightly, then pick out the vanilla pod (I dry the pod and add it to a jar of sugar so you have vanilla sugar for your cakes).
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and cornflour until pale.
- Gradually add the warm milk, a ladle at a time, whisking well before each addition.
- Pour the mixture back into the pan and cook gently on a low heat for about 20 minutes or until thickened, whisking continuously.
- Use the leftover egg whites for delicious home-made meringues!
This recipe and image was taken from Jamie Oliver’s website