Just had the first of the beetroot from the garden for this delicious and easy to make risotto.
Nothing was wasted as I made a quiche with the stalks and leaves which was equally tasty.
This recipe is adapted from the BBC good food website.
Ingredients marked (W) available from Weigh Ahead
- 500g fresh beetroot
- 2 tbsp olive oil (w)
- knob of butter (w)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 250g risotto rice (w)
- 150ml white wine
- 700ml hot vegetable stock (w)
- handful grated parmesan (or vegetarian alternative)
- 4 tbsp soured cream
- Chopped toasted pumpkin seeds (w) and feta to serve.
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.
- Peel and trim the beetroots and cut into large wedges.
- Place on a large sheet of foil on a baking sheet. Toss with 1 tbsp olive oil, season, then cook for 1 hr until the beets are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining olive oil with the butter in an ovenproof pan with a lid.
- Tip in the onion and garlic, then cook for 3-5 mins until translucent. Stir in the rice until well coated with the butter and oil.
- Pour over the white wine and stir until all the wine is absorbed by the rice.
- Gradually stir in the hot stock a ladle at a time until all the stock is absorbed, and the rice is cooked.
- Remove the beetroots from the oven. Whizz ¼ of them to make a purée, then chop the remainder into small pieces.
- Stir in the Parmesan, the beetroot purée and chopped beetroot through the risotto, then serve with some soured cream and the toasted pumpkin seeds and feta.